Certain things in life are thankfully, painfully obvious to the average human. So when you think of building a house, you imagine tooling up, grabbing some bricks, wood and mortar and setting to work, and yes, that would seem like the logical choice wouldn’t it? However, some people have been thinking outside the box when it comes to building materials and as such, here are ten great examples of some cool buildings for which unusual materials are used for building.
- In a village in Sweden, a hotel is constructed every year made entirely out of ice. Ever room is full of art carved into ice and even the beds are made out of ice! Don’t worry though, it has reindeer skin spread across it to keep you warm!
- A Buddhist temple in Thailand is constructed from one million beer glass bottles. Mosaics within the temple are constructed from the beer bottle lids. It was built to highlight the wasteful nature of the world and the beauty of recycling rubbish.
- Flying is scary enough for us, but imagine turning a plane into a house. Imagine no more! A company specialises in turning scrap metal planes into a home for the kids. Strange world.
- Despite being a fairly perfect building material, millions upon millions of tyres are thrown away every year. So what did one person do? That’s right, they built a house out of tyres.
- Some houses have even been built out of petrified wood, which is wood of trees that have died years, and years ago have fossilised. One of those Houses are in Somerville, TX.
- Much like the Buddhist temple, there is a house that is built simply out of plastic bottles. It is extremely low cost and a good insulator though… The house in the image is in Nigeria and is a tourist attraction!
- All the way back in 1922, a man named Elis Stenman built a house entirely out of newspaper. Even the furnishings are built from newspaper!
- There is a house built out of mammoth bones. Don’t worry though; this was built when our ancestors were around!
- Salt. Yep, you heard that right. Out in the salt flats of Bolivia, there is a hotel built entirely out of salt.
- Saving the strangest one for last, there is a house that is a wooden frame house filled entirely with delicious corncobs. Such waste.
Ice Hotel: icehotel.com Beer Bottle Temple: treehugger.com Plane House: listverse.com Tire House: touchtheearthranch.com Petrified Wood House: thefossilforum.com Plastic Bottle House: bbc.co.uk News Paper House: paperhouserockport.com Mammoth Bone House: theslideprojector.com Salt Hotel: news.nationalgeographic.com CornCob Filled Wood House: sawtoothlogrestoration.com