Joseph Stalin, a Russian dictator and mass murderer but despite what we know about him, he does have a few strange facts in his closet. Millions died as a direct result of Joseph Stalins decisions and the dead even included his allies and closest friends. Today we take a look at the little known facts behind one of the most ruthless dictators of the 20th century.
- Stalin’s real name was not in fact, Stalin. His real name was Losif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili and so he started using the assumed name, Stalin which translated to ‘Man of Steel’
- Despite the atrocitys he committed in his later life, Stalin was actually on course at one point to become a man of the cloth. The young, intelligent Stalin was offered a scholarship to become ordained into the Russian Orthodox church but was kicked out after reading books by Karl Marx.
- After being run over by a horse drawn carriage in his youth, Stalin was left with his left arm shorter than his right. This was due to surgery that meant his arm had to be reconstructed.
- He was a vain little fellow as well, routinely air-brushing his official paintings to hide the scars on his face from his battle with smallpox as a youngster.
- Stalin prohibited his guards from entering his room and if you did, you’d be killed. He one day decided to test his guards and screamed loudly. As expected, his guards ran in to see if he was ok and they were quickly disposed off.
- He is known as cruel and unimaginable tyrant but Stalin was actually nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize twice in 1945 and 1948. This was due to his involvement in stopping the Second World War. He was also named ‘Time Magazines Person of the Year’ twice!
- He was a big fan of American cowboy films. He would host private screenings for his friends in his own private cinema complete with his own in house translator.
Well, we’ve learnt a fair amount behind one of the world’s moth ruthless dictators. Do you have anything to add? Let us know below.