Dolphins are marine mammals that are closely related to whales and porpoises. Now here read some facts about Dolphins, one of the cutest mammals in the sea!
- The marine forces have used dolphins for defense! Dolphins hold the Guinness record for the first use of marine mammals in the defense. It was was during the Vietnam War between 1970–71, when five US Navy bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) were sent to Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam to defend US military boats from enemy swimmers.
- Dolphins hold another guinness world record for the most dolphins born in a year in a single facility. 11 dolphins were born. It was achieved by Delphinus Xcaret, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Mexico, from 28 January to 4 December 2008.
- Approximately 40 species of Dolphins exist.
- The name dolphin came from a Greek word δελφίς (delphís) which closely related to another Greek word δελφύς (delphus), “womb”. So the meaning of dolphin is interpreted as The fish with a Womb.
- The Dolphins have acute eyesight in both inside and outside of water.
- Dolphins can hear frequencies 10 times of an adult human being.
- Dolphins are believed to have no sense of smell! But since dolphins spend most of their time below the surface, tasting the water could function like smelling, in that substances in the water can signal the presence of objects that are not in the dolphin’s mouth.
- Dolphins are said to be the most intelligent animals on earth!
- Dolphins have some other reason for engaging in the sexual activities. It has been know that some times, they engage in homosexual behavior.
- Also sometimes occasionally, dolphins behave sexually towards other animals, including humans.
- Dolphins can watch for possible predators and other threats while they are alseep. They can do this because they sleep with only one brain hemisphere in slow-wave sleep at a time.
- A study has found that, dolphins can reduce the depression, from mild to moderate!
- Dolphin meat is consumed in Japan and Peru!