Read to know some of the most interesting facts about silk & silk production.
- Did you know that silk was discovered by accident? A silk cocoon had accidentally fallen into a cup of hot tea. A Chinese Empress Hsi-Ling-Shih pulled the threads and discovered silk.
- You can get at-most two kilometers of silk thread from just one silk cocoon. But on an average you can get 600 and 900 meters.
- The methods of twisting, reeling and weaving of the silk have hardly changed since the earliest times.
- If you visited a silkworm producing facility and entered a room where the silkworms were being raised, it would sound like there was heavy rain falling on the roof. But it is really the sound of silkworms munching on those chopped mulberry leaves.
- It takes around 30,000 silkworms to produce 12 pounds of raw silk.
- The official term for silk production is “sericulture”.
- Sleeping on a silk pillowcase is said to cause a delay in a person getting wrinkles because of the essential amino acids in silk bedding.
- Silk is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. It’s a naturally self adjusting fabric.
- The “burn test” will indicate whether not a piece of fabric is silk. Silk will curl away from the flame and leaves a brittle and crushable black bead after burning. It will almost always extinguish itself when the flame is removed from it.
Have you signed up to our newsletter yet?
If you don't like to lighten up your day with all the cool and fun facts you will get on your email everyday, then please DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS LIST!. But in case if you like it and would like to improve your general knowdge, then do sign up.