Read some facts about snakes which is worth knowing, facts for kids!
- The Olive Sea Snake is one of the most toxic serpents in the ocean.
- There are no snakes on Antarctica, and this makes it the only continent with no snakes.
- Snakes are capable to detecting vibrations and locate its prey using that.
- The heart of the snake is able to move around.
- The largest extant snakes are the reticulated python, which measures about 9 meters.
- The heaviest snakes are anacondas.
- Snakes keep their tongues constantly in motion to sample particles from the air, ground, and water, analyzing the chemicals found, and determining the presence of prey or predators in the local environment.
- Pit vipers, pythons, and some boas can use infra-red vision to see.
- Some birds, mammals and some snaked which prey on venomous snakes, are immune to the venom from several snakes.
- Very few types of snakes construct nests for its eggs and stay. King Cobra is one of that kind.
- Snakes almost always will try to avoid contact with humans.
- Australia averages only one fatal snake bite per year whereas in India, 250,000 snakebites are recorded in a single year, with as many as 50,000 recorded initial deaths.
- The most effective method of treatment for a snake bite is anti-venom. Which itself is a serum made from the venom of snakes.
- In the Snake Charming, the snake moves according to the movement of the flute, not the actual voice. It doesn’t mean snakes cannot hear anything. They can hear as they do have internal ears.