Read to know about one of the weirdest animal from Eastern Australia – Some of the coolest facts about platypus.
- Platypus is the one and only mammals that lay eggs instead of giving birth to live young.
- Platypus have a very unusual appearance. The unusual appearance of this egg-laying, venomous, duck-billed, beaver-tailed, otter-footed mammal baffled European naturalists when they first encountered it.
- These are one of the very few venomous mammals, their venom can cause severe pain to human beings.
- Platypus’ venom is strong enough to kill a dog.
- The platypus is the animal emblem of the state of New South Wales.
- When naturalists first encountered this animal, they thought that somebody had sewn a duck’s beak onto the body of a beaver-like animal.
- Platypus can locate their prey in part by detecting electric fields generated by muscular contractions. This is known as sense of electroreception.
- They are the only mammals known to have a sense of electroreception.