This planet which we all live on has some amazing little secrets and treasures locked away but today we’re going to look at some unusual and downright bizarre facts which relate to the geographical wonders which inhabit planet Earth.
- Alaska takes the medal for being the most northerly, easterly and westerly state in the whole of America. It is the only state in America that enters the eastern hemisphere, thus making it the most eastern and the most western state.
- All the way back in 1811-1812, there was three massive earthquakes, measuring up to eight on the Richter scale. These earthquakes actually caused the flow in the Mississippi River to change and flow in the opposite direction. The earthquakes also caused an entirely new lake to be born, Reelfoot Lake in Tennessee.
- The countries of Lesotho, The Vatican City and San Marino are the only countries in the world that are entirely surrounded by another country. Lesotho is surrounded by South Africa whilst both The Vatican and San Marino are surrounded by Italy.
- The place with the shortest name in the entire world is located in both Sweden and Norway. In the Scandinavian languages, the letter ‘Å’ which simply means ‘River’ and holds the record for the shortest place name!
- Glaciers store between 70% and 80% of all freshwater on the planet yet almost 99% of glaciers are only in the Arctic and the Antarctic areas.
- The deepest hole that was ever drilled is the Kola Super deep Borehole, which is located in Russia. This hole goes down 7.62 miles and it was drilled for scientific research.
- The hottest temperature ever recorded was at El Azizia, Libya and reached 136 F / 57 C whilst the coldest temperature was found to be -134 F/-92 C and was recorded in Vostok, Antarctica.
Well, now you know a lot more about the world. Amaze your friends with these awesome geographical cool facts about earth ! Do you have any more to share? Let us know below!