Today I suddenly became interested in Human DNA which is also known as Deoxyribonucleic Acid and I thought why not write about it. In case you don’t know what DNA is, it is the thing which decides all about you. It is responsible for your genetic make up. So here are some fun facts about DNA which I am pretty sure you will find interesting.
- You shares 99% of your DNA with every other human being, did you know that? It is the 1% that makes us different.
- Did you know that you and a Chimpanzee shares 98% of your DNA?
- If you somehow manage to put all your DNA in your body end to end, it will be long enough to cover the distance between Earth to Sun over 600 times.
- If you were to store the entire DNA info of yours on a computer, it would take only 3 gigabytes of space.
- Harvard researchers were able to store 700 terabytes of data on a single gram of DNA.
- If you were to write the entire DNA sequence at 60 words per minute and 8 hours a day, it will take you 50 years before you finish writing it.
- Cambridge University scientists found that you and a type of mud worm share common DNA. That means you’ve more in common with a mud worm than a cat or dog.
- Did you know even vegetables have DNA? In case you already knew that, you might not know this. You and a Cabbage share 40-50% DNA.
- Did you know Russians have sent a memory device which contains the DNA sequences of important people on earth including the DNA sequence of Stephen Hawking to the International Space Station. The aim is to provide the building blocks in case of a human extinction.
- Did you know you age because the DNA in your body becomes weaker with each cell replication. But there are several life forms on Earth which don’t age because their DNA never becomes weaker. If provided with optimal conditions, those creatures will live for ever that is unless they catch a deadly disease or encounter any life threatening accidents of course.
- Remember how you studied Columbus was the one to discover America? Well he is not the first. According to a study by University of Iceland at least one native American women was brought back by the Vikings as a wife. There are DNA evidences to support this claim.
- Did you know your DNA is radio-active? Well apparently all the people born after 1955 have radio-active material carbon-14 in their DNA, thanks to the cold war.
So that’s it for now. I hope you really enjoyed this article about DNA. Let me know if you have anything more to add or you have any feedback. I would love to hear your comments!
Have you signed up to our newsletter yet?
If you don't like to lighten up your day with all the cool and fun facts you will get on your email everyday, then please DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS LIST!. But in case if you like it and would like to improve your general knowdge, then do sign up.