- Soil influences many areas of our lives. It is an integral part of our ecosystem. The composition of the soil in an area has a direct effect on the plant and animal life there.
- It takes more than 500 years to form 2 centimeters of topsoil.
- Ten tonnes of topsoil spread evenly over one hectare of land comes out to be as thick as one Euro coin.
- A fully functional soil holds 3750 tonnes of water per hectare, thus reducing the risk of floods. It holds pollutants to a certain extent. Soil stores around 10% of the emissions of carbon dioxide.
- Just one gram of soil contains 5000 to 7000 different species of bacteria. A spoonful of soil can hold a substantial amount of living beings.
- Scientists have found 10,000 types of soil in Europe and about 70,000 types of soil in the United States.
- 75% of the earth’s crust is composed of silica and oxygen.
- Soil is a non-renewable natural resource. This should make us think of how much we value this resource. Damage to the soil can disturb nature’s balance and prove a threat to life.
Have you signed up to our newsletter yet?
If you don't like to lighten up your day with all the cool and fun facts you will get on your email everyday, then please DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS LIST!. But in case if you like it and would like to improve your general knowdge, then do sign up.