- Netherlands became the first country to legalize same sex marriages in 2001.
- Almost 20% of the entire area in Netherlands is below sea level. 21% of its entire population lives below sea level. This has made them the world experts on keeping back water from the sea and rivers. The United States turned to the Dutch asking for help with this during the Katrina disaster.
- In many European languages Netherlands mean “Low Land” or “Low Countries”.
- Netherlands is also known as the land of Giants. This is because Dutch are the world’s tallest people with an average height of 184cm for men and 170cm for women.
- In Netherlands you can not purchase grave space because of the short supply. Instead you have to lease the space for 10, 15 or 20 years.
- Netherlands is the largest exporter of Cheese.
- Dutch cheese was selected to be the best cheese by 40 judges from 17 countries who tasted 2500 verities of cheeses in the 2012 World Cheese Making Contest held in the US.
- Although Netherlands is called the land of Tulips, Tulips are not originated from there. The first Tulip bulbs are said to be imported from Turkey.
- Netherlands is known as the bicycle capital of the world. It has over 18 million bicycles which is more than one per person.
- Netherlands has the oldest tri-color flag. It dates back to 1572.
- Dutch were the first Europeans to discover Australia and New Zealand. New Zealand is named after the Province of Zealand.
- Over 25% of the entire Dutch population are registered to one of the 35,000 sports clubs in the country.
That’s all for now. Please do share if you know any cool facts about Netherlands apart from the above ones.
Have you signed up to our newsletter yet?
If you don't like to lighten up your day with all the cool and fun facts you will get on your email everyday, then please DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS LIST!. But in case if you like it and would like to improve your general knowdge, then do sign up.