Ants are common insects, but they have some unique capabilities. More than 10,000 known ant species occur around the world. They are especially prevalent in tropical forests, where they may be up to half of all the insects living in some locations.
Some Cool Facts:
- Ants can lift and carry more than three times their own weight.
- Ants communicate and cooperate by using chemicals that can alert others to danger or lead them to a promising food source.
- Male ants often have only one role—mating with the queen. After they have performed this function, they may die.
- Ant communities are headed by a queen or queens, whose function in life is to lay thousands of eggs that will ensure the survival of the colony.
- Carpenter ants nest in wood and can be destructive to buildings.
- Ants are mostly omnivorous, that is, they eat other insects, seeds, oils and bread.
- An ant has two stomachs, in one stomach it stores food for itself and in the other it stores food that is to be shared with other ants.